- What do I obtain PMP credential?To obtain PMP credential, one must meet the eligibility requirements (see question 2) and complete the online application process (see question 3). After that you will be directed to schedule your examination. You should sit and pass the multiple-choice examination within 1 year after the application submission to obtain your PMP credential.
- What are the eligibility requirements of PMP?You must meet one of the followings:
- High school diploma / global equivalent
- 5 years project management experience
- 7,500 hours of leading and directing projects
- 35 hours project management education
- Bachelor’s degree / global equivalent
- 3 years project management experience
- 4,500 hours of leading and directing projects
- 35 hours project management education
Notice that the project management / project management education requirements must be fulfilled at the time an applicant submits the application, rather at the time an applicant takes / schedules the examination.
- What is the online application process and do I start it?Before actually taking the examination, applicant has to complete an online process in which one needs to fill in his background information, prior project management experience and also the information about project management education he received. Applicants are responsible for providing accurate information and the submission may undergo an audit.To start the application process, go to PMI website and register as a user. Registration is free of charge. You can decide to become a PMI member after registration, which will impose a charge.
- What is the application audit all about?All applications are subject to an audit, although only a small percentage of applications are selected for audit and the selection is random. If your application is selected for the purpose you will be notified after the credential fee payment and you must complete the audit before you can schedule your examination. During an audit, you will be asked to submit supporting documentation such as:
- Copies of your diploma/global equivalent
- Signatures from your supervisor(s) or manager(s) from the project(s) and/or program(s) documented in the experience verification section of the application
- Copies of certificates and/or letters from the training institute(s) for each course documented on the application to meet the required contact hours of project management education
- When should I take the examination after application?There is an eligibility period of 1 year after the acceptance of online application. During which you must schedule, sit and pass the examination. Failing to do so would require a new application and paid credential fee forfeited.
- How do I schedule my examination?After the acceptance of your online application, you will be re-directed to the examination operator Prometricwebsite where you can search availability and schedule examination at your convenience.Note that neither PMI nor PMI-HK chapter manages the actual examination.
- What should I watch out when scheduling my examination?You will schedule your examination at Prometric website. Identification can be a major issue. Hong Kong ID card is not a valid identification document at Prometric online registration, which is designed for global use. We recommend using your passport instead and by doing so, you must present the passport on examination day. HKSAR and BNO passport are both accepted.On the other hand, make sure you fill in your given name and family name at Prometric website EXACTLY as they show on your passport. If you have your Christian name on your passport, make sure you put it down at Prometic website when scheduling examination. If you don’t have your Christian name on your passport, do not put it down online. Use same caution with initials. Test center is very strict over name and you might be denied from taking examination if the document your present reads differently from the information you entered online.
- How much does the examination cost?In Hong Kong you must take the computer-based testing operated by Prometric. The cost will be:
- US$ 405 for PMI member
- US$ 555 for non-PMI member
You will settle this payment, namely the credential fee, as part of the online application process. You will have to pay before scheduling your examination. Payment will be made online with credit cards.
- Must I be a PMI member to obtain PMP credential?No you don’t have to be a PMI member.However an individual membership costs US$ 129 annually. So you can actually save US$ 29 by becoming a member and enjoy the discounted examination fee, not to mention other membership benefits.
- How can I fulfill the requirement of official Project Management Education?To fulfill the requirement the applicant must receive at least 35 hours of specific instruction that addressed learning objectives in project management. The course work must be completed at the time an applicant submits the application. An applicant should be able to demonstrate a successful completion of courses, workshops and training sessions offered by one or more of the following types of education providers:
- PMI Registered Education Providers
- PMI Component organizations
- Employer/company-sponsored programs
- Training companies or consultants
- Distance-learning companies, including an end-of-course assessment
- University/college academic and continuing education programs
The following education does not satisfy the requirements:
- PMI chapter meetings
- Self-directed leaning (e.g., reading books, watching instructional videos or sessions with coaches or mentors)
- I had my PM training long ago. Would the experience be counted?There is no expiry on training experience. Yes the experience is valid.
- I had my PM training based on PMBOK3. Would the experience be counted?The project management education required does not specify a particular material. Yes the experience is valid.